Poker is a very simple and exciting game, the rules of game can be master by novice player in just a few minutes. Below we have prepared for you the key points in the rules which will allow even complete “dummies” to start playing poker today.
Texas Hold’em is the simplest and most popular form of poker today. In fact, this is classic poker, where every poker player starts the game with two hole (“pocket”) cards – this is one of the basic rules of poker. This is followed by four betting rounds, during which five community cards are dealt to form a “board” and bets are placed.
Community cards can be used by any player along with his “hole” cards in order to collect the best combination of five poker cards. In this case, closed cards can be used in full, partially or not at all.
According to the rules of poker, the best five-card hand wins, which can consist of either five community cards or two face down cards in each player’s hand.
For your convenience and a better understanding of the rules of poker, as well as a visual analysis of the small nuances of the game, we recommend starting the study by watching a short video, which is designed just for beginners and will allow you to quickly learn the basics of the game of poker.
Learn Table Rules.
Every poker hand starts with mandatory bets. Before the cards are dealt, two players (sitting to the left of the button) place the mandatory bets – the small and big blinds. The small blind is half of the size big blind.
These bets are needed so that the participants in the distribution have something to fight for. In a cash game, the size of the blinds is determined by the limit with which the game is played at this table. Traditionally, the table limit is referred to as 100 big blinds, i.e. at an NL10 table ($ 10 No Limit) the blinds are $ 0.05 and $ 0.10. Thanks to the blinds, there is always money in the pot.
After that, each player is dealt two cards face down, from this moment the game begins. In regular Hold’em, as in most other types of online poker, the player has the opportunity to take several different actions. The complete list of actions available to players in various situations is as follows:
- FOLD is a refusal to continue fighting for the pot in response to a bet (bet) or raise (raise) from an opponent. In this case, the player folds his cards and they leave the game to discard. The player who folded can no longer participate in this hand.
- CHECK – if no one has made a bet in the current round, the player can check. In fact, this is a skip of a move, and transferring it to the next active player who sits on the left. Checking does not mean giving up the fight for the pot, it is just giving up the opportunity to bet in the current round.
- BET – if there are no bets in the current round, the player can bet (bet). In this case, he sets the price for continuing the game. The players sitting after him decide what to do: fold (fold), equalize (call) or raise again (raise). The minimum bet in the game is the big blind.
- CALL – if a bet was made in the current round, the player can call by making a call and adding the same number of chips to the pot, equal to the bet or raise of the last player.
- RAISE – if a bet is made in the current betting round, the player can raise it by making a raise. To do this, he must make a bet that will exceed the bet of the last player. All other players must either call or reraise to qualify for this pot. Otherwise, they have only one option – this is to fold their cards, that is, fold. In No Limit Hold’em, the size and number of raises is unlimited .
All of these actions are taken by the Holdem players in each of the four rounds of betting, or as they are called otherwise “streets”:
In each round, betting continues until the person to the right of the last player to bet or raise. When the turn returns to him, the next round begins or the hand ends if all the players before him chose to fold.
After all the players have received their cards, each of them decides what he will do – give up the fight for the pot and fold his cards, try to continue the game by making a call of one big blind or a raise of at least two big blinds.
The first to speak is the player to the left of the big blind. The word then moves from player to player in turn clockwise. If no raises were made preflop, then the big blind has the last word. If one of the players raises, then the game develops according to the scenario described above, until all players have their say.
At the end of the betting round, all bets made by the players are collected in one common pot, for which the fight will continue on the following streets – the flop, turn and river.
Flop In Poker.
This round of betting begins at the end of preflop. Three community cards are laid out on the table, which are called the flop All players can use these cards to compose their combination, but they cannot be taken into their hand or exchange their cards for flop cards – they are available to all players who continue to fight in the distribution.
Unlike preflop, flop bets start with the first active player to the left of the button. For example, it could be a player in the small blind, if he did not fold his cards preflop. The last action on the flop is the button.
Players have access to the same actions as on preflop, with one exception – if no one has made a bet before, then the player can check and pass the move to the next player without putting anything in the bank.
After all the players have said their word, all bets made are added to the current pot.
After trading on the flop is over, the fourth community card is laid out (dealt) on the table – the turn which is also used by all players to compose their combinations. Another round of betting takes place, following the same pattern as on the flop. It starts with the first active player clockwise to the left of the player on the button.
The four open cards on the table already provide enough information for players to make decisions and assess their chances of winning.
After the end of trading on the turn, the fifth and last card – the river is laid out on the table. After opening the river card, the players analyze the final combinations they have collected and conduct the final round of betting.
The betting round starts again with the first player clockwise to the left of the button, and the same betting rules apply as on the flop and turn. All the money deposited by the players in the bank is added to the current bank, and the game goes to the final stage.
Showdown according to the rules of Texas Hold.
According to poker rules, players who have equalized all Satta on the previous streets take part in the last round of the game – the showdown. It is here that the winner is determined, who takes the pot. All players show their combinations.
The strongest five-card combination (hand) wins, which the player makes of all cards available to him. In other words, to make your combination, you can use all five community cards, or one of your own cards and four community cards, or two pocket cards and three table cards.
Important! the winning combination is always determined by five cards
If, on four cards, two players have the same combination, the so-called Kicker comes into play – this is the highest unpaired card. For If the combinations and kickers coincide completely, then the pot is divided equally between the players.
There are also situations when the game does not come to showdown. This happens when a player bets or raises on one of the streets, but none of his opponents dares to call. In this case, the player who made the last bet takes the pot, and he may not show his cards .
The detailed rules of poker very accurately schedule the sequence of moves, which avoids any controversial situations and there are also a number of principles for the sequence of showing cards.
If there are several participants in the game, the player who made the last bet opens his cards first. If there were no bets on the river, then the first player who is clockwise from the button first shows his hand. These rules are often confusing for beginner poker players, but when playing online poker you should not worry about this, as the order will be clearly calculated for you.
When playing live, you can rely on the dealer or listen to the most experienced player. At the same time, some rooms may deviate from the complete rules and, in fact, simultaneously show cards to both players. However, often the opponents’ cards can also be viewed after the deal in hand histories.
After the pot is passed to the winning player in the hand, the next hand begins. The dealer’s button (button) moves to the next player clockwise, the blinds are posted, new hole cards are dealt, and new trading for the pot begins.
Brief rules of online poker.
To summarize and consolidate the material, I propose once again to briefly consider the main points of the rules and the course of distribution.
- The dealer in the current hand is determined and 2 players to his left make mandatory bets;
- All players are dealt 2 cards;
- Pre-flop. The first round of betting takes place, where players only see their 2 cards.
- Flop. Common 3 cards are laid out on the table, which are visible to all players. Another round of trading is in progress
- Tern. One more is added to the general cards. Another round of trading is in progress
- River. One more card is added and the total number of cards on the table becomes 5. The final round of betting takes place.
- At all stages of trading, if one player remains in the hand, and the others fold, then he takes the pot and the rest of the rounds are not held.
- Showdown. If after the final round on the river there are still players in the hand, then they take turns showing their hole cards and the strongest poker combination is determined, which takes the pot in this hand.
- If the combinations coincide, the kicker rule is applied, and if the hands completely match in strength, then these players divide the bank equally.
- The dealer’s mark is passed to the next player to the left and the whole process of dealing is repeated.